Monday, September 19

If only she were my granny!

September 19, 2005 Cannabis granny faces jail for pot plants By Philippe Naughton, Times Online Patricia Tabram, a cannabis-growing grandmother, said today that she expects to be sent to jail after police discovered four marijuana plants in her home. The 66-year-old, who says that she is "medicating" friends who are sick or in pain because conventional medicines do not work, compared herself to Emmeline Pankhurst, the pioneering suffragist, saying she was willing to face her fate. Mrs Tabram was given a six-month prison term, suspended for two years, in April when she admitted possessing cannabis with intent to supply from her home in East Lea, in Humshaugh, near Hexham, Northumberland. Mrs Tabram said today: "The police raided my home on Friday morning. Three officers came to the door and said ‘We’ve got information that you have been growing plants’. "They went right through my home and found four plants, each about 4ft high, which I have been trying to grow. The leaves were beginning to go brown and starting to die. I’ve never successfully grown a plant but I do not want to have to go to a criminal for my cannabis. "I realise I am going to go to prison," she added. "Emmeline Pankhurst had to go to prison three times before women got the vote so I am not going to be worried about it. "I have been thinking about things over the weekend and if the police charge me with anything except for ‘my own use’, then I am going to plead not guilty and go to trial. "I have decided to defend myself. I am going to be my own solicitor, my own barrister and my own criminal. I did not go to university but I have read many books about this country’s drug laws and when I get into court I am going to tell the judge and jury about the hypocrisy of our laws. "I’m going to do my best in court and if I get a bigger sentence, then tough Charlie. If I get the same judge as last time, then tough Charlie. "I’m just an old, grey, tubby grandma and I’m going to fight this." Mrs Tabram, who prides herself on her homemade herbal cookies, casseroles and soups, cuts an unlikely figure as a drug user. She has cooked up treats laced with cannabis for neighbours and friends in her village since being introduced to the Class C drug last year by friends and finding that it helped to alleviate the symptoms of depression, whiplash and neck pain. Northumbria Police were tipped off about the savoury smells and activities coming from Mrs Tabram’s bungalow and twice raided her house, in May and June last year. They seized 8.5oz (242g) of "skunk" cannabis - the most powerful variety - with a street value of £854 and she was charged with possession with intent to supply.

No comments: