Saturday, November 6

One-line Movie Reviews

Haven't done my film reviews in a while. This fall's offerings have been pretty slim, in my opinion, with the exception of "Ray" -- better acting by far than "Ali" although quite similar in feel, era, issues. [Replace 'religious politics' and 'boxing' with 'drugs' and 'music'.] B'friend/in-house movie critic felt the difference was due to Michael Mann (Heat) directing "Ali" -- as opposed to Taylor Hackford, who is responsible for "When We Were Kings" (the 'other' Muhammed Ali movie). Of course, I have seen other films recently: Not so recently, I saw Hero, but I know it didn't get shown everywhere, so if you have a chance to see it on DVD, do so. I also liked i heart huckabees, as I think I have already mentioned. Not bad, actually: Mr. 3000 cause I love Bernie Mac. Not to spoil it for you, but Paul Sorvino is perfect as team manager -- although he has almost no lines in this. Shark Tale -- cute, but I think b'friend laughed more at the preview of it than during the actual film. Going to see Stage Beauty tonight, so I'll let y'all know how that is -- should be entertaining. Looking forward to: Motorcycle Diaries (yes, it's out, I just didn't get around to it before it left the theatres here); Kinsey, for curiosity's sake; Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, which is kinda weird cause b'friend thinks I look like her -- is it before or after the movie weight?; and Finding Neverland. . . or am I? It must just be the pull of the Depp!

2 comments:

Mr. Roboto said...

You go to a lot of Movies.

Memphis Chix said...

Yeah, well, it is totally against my will. I consider most American cinema a waste of time, but. . . the things we do for our significant others! The best I can do is eliminate the "Oh, HELL no!" movies, and steer b'friend away from the "verging on beating self with leather strap" titles. And yes, he does have to go to stuff alone (i.e. Sky Captain) sometimes.